Ranma 1/2

I read Ranma 1/2 for the week of Japanese comics in our class. I chose this book for the nostalgia I had for it. I read this book at around 12 which probably isn't appropriate to read at that age considering the nudity. But regardless of that i really enjoyed the concept of the series and brought me into reading comics, and for a while i only read manga because it was easier to follow Japanese comics as you only have to keep up with one title rather than research online to find what next issue I have to read to continue a story arc I was invested in. I think for this reason that manga and anime have gained more popularity in the West.

Ranma 1/2 incorporates a lot of  Japanese culture and references to mythology. Which got me invested in Japanese as a whole because i had to research a lot of the concepts presented in the manga. The characters are also really entertaining but with little character development. the drawings are really well done and though Rumiko Takahashi has a very consistent art style but recognizable on the page. also the traditional manga pages are refreshing to look at while reading compared to the digital art textures made to emulate the traditional art. Rumiko's Ranma 1/2 is popular worldwide and a starter mark to the harem genre in manga today. Ranma 1/2 is probably the second most known work by Takahashi, her first being inuyasha which gained traction due to its anime counterpart being aired on toonami for my generation who stayed up saturday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Nemo,Krazy Kat,Peanuts

Hellboy